Hendricks Update - July 2019

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
terveurn

Re: Hendricks Update - July 2019

Post by terveurn »

Scott

This might help visualize why the turret had to be stowed fwd / aft for access

https://youtu.be/GSmhMaKDCkI?t=49

Belle Turret.JPG
Belle Turret 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

terveurn wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:16 pm Scott

Think about the upper turret on the B-17 ? You have the yoke the FE stand's on and on each side, ammo cans.

If the upper is turned any position except to the axis of flight, the passage is blocked (turret ops para. 3H)

The bomb bay was the recommended method of leaving the B-17 in flight (see Flight Manual) for the Pilots and FE with the fwd entry as secondary for the flight deck crew.
Yeah, I got all that. As far as I can tell, the pilots can get out of the airplane (to bail out) regardless of the turret position...

I've been inside a few B-17s (no top turrets installed) and the opening to the forward hatch is just aft of the pilot seats, if I recall correctly. Interesting stuff.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
Dennis56

Post by Dennis56 »

All the more reason for a B, C, or D. (as long as people aren't shooting at you) :D Dennis
3_5 B-17D.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

38-583.jpg
Dennis56

Post by Dennis56 »

Which brings up a couple of questions from me:
So was there a specific number of planes per field? 100?
Was there some kind of ''designator" field to field? I don't see a large H, or letter designating the field (this picture, which I have seen before does show "Hendricks" in the fine print. Were numbers color coded?
Now what about MacDill or Drew fields?
Still learning... Dennis
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

Hendricks did not have any marking except for the oversized two digit number on the nose / tail.

MacDill, Avon Park, Drew and Gulfport were all part of the 3rd AF CCRC during 1944 - 1945 and had a field designation / squadron / letter combination

Sioux City, Rapid City, Dyersburg, and Alexandria used a two digit tail ID with last 4-digits on nose (until they transferrd to 3rd AF)

You also had other fields (Lockbourne and Hendricks) that only trained B-17 pilots

Langley was a PFF training base

There is a lot of information never published (except for my books) that even attempt to touch on this subject. For the past 75 years, almost 100% of the books on WWII deal with the combat units and the training bases received short shift
ZOI Combat Crew Training B-17 Colors and Markings 1944-45.JPG