Pictures of Mantz's N1203 from the movie, THEM!

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
ww2John

Post by ww2John »

Just a big public thank-you for this site and all the work you do for the warbird movement. Your book Final Cut focused my interest in WWII era a/c.

I look forward to any book/article/posting you write.
ww2John
Chris Brame

It's a Mad etc. World

Post by Chris Brame »

OK, let's all take a look:

Not a lot of landmarks here, but the topography sure isn't like the area around the Chino airport (which is pretty much flat as an ironing board).
Craig59

Post by Craig59 »

Scott,

The sub-website on Tallmantz sounds great! I'm looking forward to that.

Please make a post here when the Fly Past article on "MOTA" comes to print. I don't subscribe but would like to go purchase that issue. Funny - I started flying with Sunrise Aviation at SNA when they were located very near the museum and I never took the time to visit there.

And I too have always thought the billboard location from IAMMMMW had to be close to SNA based on the comments in Tallmans book. I grew up in the North side of the county (Los Alamitos) and you're correct - there was plenty of open space around back when the film was made. Shoot! Back then you could actually find orange groves in the City of Orange!

Craig
oilpuddle

photos

Post by oilpuddle »

Somebody has posted a photo gallery at the flickr site with photos of the Tallmantz collection from visits to the Chino Airport in 1964 and 1966. In the 1964 set, you can see in the background of two photos the Twin Beech from IAMMMMW (looking rather intact). along with shots of the photo ship B-25 and plenty others of the collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20111203@N ... 917403087/
oilpuddle

Post by oilpuddle »

Correction, maybe that's Orange County airport, don't know for sure but probably too many houses in the background of some shots to be Chino in 1964. Sorry for confusing it. Neat photos either way. Hope you like them.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Some great views of the museum there. I wish I had those shots available last year when I was looking for photos from the museum. It is at Orange County, by the way, at the Movieland of the Air Museum.
txtabby

Re: photos

Post by txtabby »

oilpuddle wrote:Somebody has posted a photo gallery at the flickr site with photos of the Tallmantz collection from visits to the Chino Airport in 1964 and 1966. In the 1964 set, you can see in the background of two photos the Twin Beech from IAMMMMW (looking rather intact). along with shots of the photo ship B-25 and plenty others of the collection.

Mmm... sorry, but I see no photo of the 'twin Beechcraft' from IAMMMMW. It wasn't even a 'real' Beechcraft, but looked identical to one. The tail section is from a Locheed Electra to get around the copyright laws. I know this because my friend's father did the work for the movie. Now here's what the plane looks like, and I can't find it in any of the photos from the above site... http://www.gchudleigh.com/images/airpor ... ding01.jpg

:)
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Not sure what you mean. There is no doubt it was a twin Beech used in the film...I've seen the production logs and it shows the N number that Frank Tallman flew for the film. (It was N63158.) There's much other documented paperwork showing that this aircraft was the one used.

What kind of copyright issues are talking about here?

Look at this photo; it is in the background:

Craig59

Post by Craig59 »

TXTABBY,

I could not get the link you provided to open. Scott is correct - it most definitely was the aforementioned Beechcraft which was used in IAMMMMW and flown by Frank Tallman.
Cheers!

Craig
iammmmw

Re: Pictures of Mantz's N1203 from the movie, THEM!

Post by iammmmw »

'GOOGLE' " It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world picasa" and you will find evidence where the plane flew through the billboard...........and more iammmmw airplane scene locations.
braincells37

Re: Pictures of Mantz's N1203 from the movie, THEM!

Post by braincells37 »

My question of the day: What color was N1203 painted for the movie?
Curious minds want to know.
Terry