B-17 crew photo and a question

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Dan Johnson

B-17 crew photo and a question

Post by Dan Johnson »

Grabbed this photo of an anonymous B17 crew taken at a training base. Barely legible on the back was Air Force Photograph, Alexandria, LA, June 1945. That obviously nailed down the training base. My question is, what would a 17 crew that finished training in June of 45 gone on to do? Transition to 29s? What were they doing with 17 crews at the time with the war in the ETO finished?

Interesting to note the unpainted prop on number 3 as well.

AIR DEPOT

Re: B-17 crew photo and a question

Post by AIR DEPOT »

Notice the window lock actually in use on the co-pilot's sliding window. I have some in stock, but this is the first photo of them in actual use on an AAF B-17,[ I have a photo of Texas Raider's "909"'s cockpits, with the lock in place on the pilot's slider]. Don
jmkendall

Post by jmkendall »

They were still using B-24s in the Pacific Theater, and were planning on using Lancs so I see no reason not to use B-17s as well. There were still lots and lots of Japanese outpost that needed to be pounded that were well within range of the PI as well as other bases.

Not to mention all the Japanese forces in Asia.
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

It may be that these only interest me, but I figured it can't hurt to share them. Another crew trained at Alexandria, Louisiana. This one dated June 1944 and still a ten man crew. Not sure what it is about these images. I guess it's not knowing what happened. Still kids who haven't had to face the reality of combat yet. They look awfully young.