Warbird owners and donors

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
DryMartini

Warbird owners and donors

Post by DryMartini »

Some interesting thoughts came to me while dealing (unsuccessfully)
to obtain parts for the B-17. What do you think?

1) It is given that not everyone in the world would give their
eye teeth to help rebuild a warbird. And some do their best
to prevent you from doing so.

2) Even though one may have spend the preceeding 2 hours
talking about how the restoration is truly a labor of love without
the financial backing of a museum/millionaire, the thought will
still be "Hey, you guys own a B-17, you have money"

3) Someone's junk becomes worth twice its weight in gold
once someone shows a need for said junk.

4) Everyone has an opinion as to how a restoration project should
be done, from paint scheme to configuration - and the loudest opinions
come from guys whom are not involved.

5) People are reluctant to give donations because at the end of
the day, they may be $20.00 lighter, but "you guys" will have a
$5 million airplane in 15 or 20 years (assuming you live long
enough to complete the project).

6) Common sense would tell you that visitors to your project,
who take up a few hours of your work time, would compensate
you by buying a T-Shirt or giving a few bucks to the effort.
Large groups may even give a few hundred dollars for
your time and generosity in allowing them to gather there.
Well, I'll tell you that it never works out that way.

I never thought warbirds would be such a frustrating hobby.

:roll:
-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
Dave

Thoughts

Post by Dave »

Bill, you have hit the nail right on the head with those thoughts.
It is the same over here in the U.K, it is surprising that some people will critisize the smallest of details, but will not contribute anything to a project, only their opinions.

As for parts, I have found that it is hard to get a good deal on things as people will up the price if you say you need it.
I once identified various parts from a B-17 for a guy over here, with the understanding that if I needed any bits, I could have them. Once identified, and they were B-17 parts, he decided to put a price them that was way off the mark, never did get them.

I have found it easier to visit small museums over here, and discuss, if there is any, parts with the curators, with possible trades of stuff, money does not interest them, but displaying old parts do.

One museum in particular has an old control tower, full of B-17,B-24,Lancaster, Stirling, and a wide range of other warbird parts, all recovered from wartime crashes. They are only too happy to swap parts as long as they have something to fill the hole in their display.

Just my thoughts, have to go now as someone has just turned up at my house with a truck load of B-17 parts :lol:
Dave
jpeters

Post by jpeters »

Hey Bill,

Sounds as though you're having one of those days where you start to question why you even started restoring in the first place. I've been there many times while searching for turret parts and dealing with some shady characters that try to sell parts that are 5 times what they're worth. :x

I know how frustrating it's been for me just trying to restore a ball turret and I can't even imagine the headaches and frustration of trying to restore an entire B-17. :shock:

Hang in there and keep up the good work!

John
DIK SHEPHERD

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

I found out a long time ago, that if you tell some people that you need something they are always willing to SELL it to you.

If you make a point to let them know that you're rebuilding some aircraft, they are REALLY willing to SELL it to you, usually at an outrageous price.

So, the thing to do is 1. Never asked how much they would be willing to sell it for. 2. No matter how much you want to brag about what you're doing, NEVER mention that you're restoring anything.

It's best that, you try to make it seem like you're nothing but a collector of old airplane parts, and spend a lot of time talking about your LITTLE collection. And if you visit someone with something, you say thank you for them letting you look at it, and then leave. Sometimes the person will call you later and ask if you'd be interested in buying the stuff, cheap. Sometimes they'll call you and ask if you'd come and haul it off for them.

Also, once you hear about something that is for sale, try using a third party to see what the asking price is. Some good looking female friend who has no real interest in the stuff, but isn't stupid (she can always say that she wants to give it to her boyfriend who's collects that kind of stuff), can sometimes get better results more than anything else. If you get a price you can live with, let the friend do the buying for you.

The big thing is, QUIT BRAGGING ABOUT THE PLANE. You can brag all you want when it's done. And as far as people donating money, don't look for it. Accept it when offered, but unless you're a 501 entity, the only time people will give money is if they know they're buying into the project. I found that out with my B-25 project.