Please Help Bring Home Capt.Paul F. Lorence remains Home

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Moxie1

Please Help Bring Home Capt.Paul F. Lorence remains Home

Post by Moxie1 »

On April 15, 1986, F-111Fs left Lakenheath on a mission to bomb Libya. It was called Operation El Dorado Canyon. One plane went down during the raid, callsign Karma-52, piloted by Major (then Captain) Fernando Ribas-Dominicci with Captain Paul F. Lorence in the WSO seat. With vatican intervention, Major Ribas remains were returned. Capt. Lorence's were not. He is still officially listed as MIA.

For as long as I have owned a home, a POW/MIA flag has flown on my house 365 days a year as a symbol that he has not been forgotten. There are 2 names on that flagpole, Paul Lorence is the first name.

I was on the communications support team for the raid and was in the Air Traffic Control tower when they took off. What followed were many tense hours of waiting. I finished my shift and went to bed to only toss and turn listening for the returning planes.

When the planes finally returned, we counted them in. 2 were missing. We all felt a sick feeling in our stomach. Our spirits rose when we heard that one had made an emergency landing in Spain. That gave us hope that dashed as the hours wore on and no word.

I met Captain Lorence on a couple of occasions as I would work on the line or in the alert areas. He was a quiet, soft-spoken guy, but was always kind.

On April 15, it will mark 21 years since he has disappeared. His son was 8 months old when he left for that mission. Today, he is an aspiring professional photographer living in England. I recently was contacted by him thanking me for the support. He didn't think anyone still remembered his father. I assured him that many did, and will continue to.

The link below is an online petition to Congressman Lincoln Diaz-Balart to demand that Libya return the remains so that he may be laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery.

If you could please sign the petition and show your support, I would appreciate it. I know the Lorence family would appreciate it too.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... gi?k52foia