LET THERE BE COLOR

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
DIK SHEPHERD

LET THERE BE COLOR

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

A few months ago I was bored and decided to scan the (PC)WIX site for a much needed laugh. As I was looking through various topics I came across one from an individual asking how hard it was to computer-color a photo?

Well, after finally getting some computer problems corrected I've been able to retrieve some of the ones I've done over the past few years.

This is going to be long, so watch out. All of these look a lot better when I print them up or in a different format, but since I had to convert them to JPEGs they tend to look a little less sharp than they really are.

Since there are no known color shots of the prototype Model 299, I decided to make a couple. Here's one of them.

I also decided to do a "B" model. This was a very small picture of a "B" model at March Field, and it came as part of a set.

These next two are a before and after, showing what can be done with a lot of work. It's a photo of one of the B-17 airframes left behind at Clark Field.

I've always liked the Y1B-17s, so I decided to do a few shots of different machines. The first one is a famous shot of one of the Y1Bs landing at Buenos Aires in 1937. Funny thing is, I later found a colorized copy of the same photo that was used as a magazine covor back in the 30s.

This next one I took from the movie "TEST PILOT". It's not a movie still, I acquired it as I watched the movie itself.

I've always liked this shot, so I said "what the heck".

Here's another shot that begged to be in color.

I did this one because it shows Y1B-17, s/n 36-155, after it was change from aircraft 10 to aircraft 11. This was done when the first "B" reached the 2nd Bomb Group at Langley Field.

These next few aren't colorized photos, even though there are photos in them. Because I like the Y1Bs I made up some montages.

Taking pictures from movies is always fun. Here's a couple from "COMMAND DECISION". You'll notice that I didn't finish this one as I didn't color in the life vest or the back pad of the parachute harness.

And a few from "TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH".

Yes, taking pictures from movies is fun, but also very time comsuming. Here's an example from "WAR LOVER" of what has to be done.

And here's the shot.

Another one from "WAR LOVER".

One of my favorite scenes from "WAR LOVER" is when the B-17s are taxiing out between the trees, so.

And some people might like different shades of paint on the -17, so.

Well, that's it for now. 8)
Last edited by DIK SHEPHERD on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
jpeters

Post by jpeters »

Those look pretty cool Dik...thanks for sharing them! 8)

John

Post by Guest »

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the process to "recreate" them.
Particularly enjoyed the montages you put together.
John
DIK SHEPHERD

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

I thank you both. :D
hang the expense

color

Post by hang the expense »

Dik, great job.Do you think you could do one of "The Body" coming back over the channel on the way to the "cliff"
HANG THE EXPENSE
DIK SHEPHERD

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

I have a couple of shots in my files of it over the water. I just haven't colorized them yet.
bluethunder28

Post by bluethunder28 »

Great job Dik!

What program did you use?

Always wanted to colorize some old black and white photos.
DIK SHEPHERD

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

Surprizingly, I use one of the oldest programs around - Adobe PhotoDeluxe 1.0. It came with my IBM computer back in 97.

I've got about a half dozen other photo programs, some have more filters and such, but PD 1.0 enables me to do a better job.

Thanks for asking.
DIK SHEPHERD

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

Here's something else I like to do, mostly because it relates to "Twelve O'clock High". These are old newspaper supplements and they look pretty ragged when I start out. But after spending several hours on them they look a lot better.

This is how it starts out.

And, since Dean Jagger was the only one to win an "OSCAR", I put one on his desk.

I didn't care too much for the B-17s that were used, so I camoed them and added some more.

Here's a couple for the television series.

They look neat when they're matted and framed. 8)
Last edited by DIK SHEPHERD on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hang the expense

color

Evening Dik, I would like to buy one of "THE BODY" coming back over the channel if you are interested.I would like to get it blown up and framed for the shop.Thanks tom
HANG THE EXPENSE
DIK SHEPHERD

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

To Hang the Expense:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I haven't been ignoring your request. I sent you a PM, but never got a response.

The past few weeks I've been tied up at the local VA Hospital because, it appears, I've developed colon cancer (an excellent opportunity for PC-WIXers to kick me while I'm down) :( . So, I guess I'll be a little busy with that problem for a while.

You didn't say if you wanted the photo colorized, or not. 8)

PM me if you don't want to discuss this here.
hang the expense

WTF

Damn,Dik, I am so sorry to hear of your illness.Did they find it in time.I sincerly hope that you will make it through this.Pm me if you like.Regards,Tom
HANG THE EXPENSE
jmkendal

best wishes

Post by jmkendal »

Dik,

Good luck! You know you can beat it buddy!

Joe

Post by Guest »

i would be surprised if anybody had any bad feelings towards you dik. the forum is one thing,but your life is another. ive bashed you on here from time to time,but i do sincerely hope that you beat this thing and continue to contribute some of the great postings that you have been putting up lately!! stay positive !! sim.
peter-four-oh

Post by peter-four-oh »

I have some 'philosophical differences' with you Dik, but I wish you well in your current fight...

As to the original subject of the thread, hope ya'll don't mind if I share something. Although I've done a number of colorizations, this is my first attempt at an aircraft photo... from a while back. I concentrated on the aircraft itself, so the rest of the image is pretty much crap. Also, the colors ain't exactly spot on... the OD needs some work. But it looks similar to some period color shots of badly faded and weatherbeaten OD, so I'm not all that unhappy with it.

Basically I was trying to see what I could do... perhaps I'll go back and fix 'er up sometime in the future.

Click for a larger image

Fade to Black...