June B-17 News

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
JAB

June B-17 News

Post by JAB »

Thanks Scott, been waiting for a B-17 news update even if it was brief. You delivered in a big way and enjoyed reading. B-17 Filmology Sifted Forth is an interesting mystery. Hope we hear more and a conclusion. The B-17 at the USAF Armament Museum at Eglin is in bad need of some TLC that coats of paint can't rectify. I last viewed it 2 years ago and before its current cosmetic paint job. At that time corrosion was very evident. Understand the museum is doing the best they can with what resources they have available however sooner or later the salt air environment will get the best of the structure on this aircraft as well as the other proud birds in the collection. The indoor exhibits are top notch and well worth a visit.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Re: June B-17 News

Post by aerovin2 »

Thanks for the comments. Hope to get B-25 News back on track too. Plus, a few other catch up items.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

And June B-25 News just posted.

http://www.aerovintage.com/b25news.htm
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books

Chris Brame

Post by Chris Brame »

Great updates! Did you get my PM about the update on Desert Rat/Tangerine?
One thing I wondered about on that hangar - were the spars and wing sections taken from scrapped planes, or were they leftover subassemblies from a subcontractor? Seems like it would be a lot of work to cut out wing spars from actual aircraft.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Whoops, yes I did. Read it in a hurry and then filed it too far away. I need to take another look. Sorry....
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books

DryMartini

Post by DryMartini »

And to clarify what is going on....

The decision to partner with someone was made to try and expedite the
Rat's restoration. We are not getting any younger!

We recently ran 7 extrusions, and went through cubic money as Hang would say.
So, a museum was looking to get in on a Fortress, and we are looking for help.
For now, we will have VAM work on fabrications, sub assemblies and finding parts, etc.

It should help us - the publicity doesn't hurt - and there is a large pool of volunteers to
tap into there. So, we will see how this goes.

-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
hang the expense

Post by hang the expense »

JAB wrote:Thanks Scott, been waiting for a B-17 news update even if it was brief. You delivered in a big way and enjoyed reading. B-17 Filmology Sifted Forth is an interesting mystery. Hope we hear more and a conclusion. The B-17 at the USAF Armament Museum at Eglin is in bad need of some TLC that coats of paint can't rectify. I last viewed it 2 years ago and before its current cosmetic paint job. At that time corrosion was very evident. Understand the museum is doing the best they can with what resources they have available however sooner or later the salt air environment will get the best of the structure on this aircraft as well as the other proud birds in the collection. The indoor exhibits are top notch and well worth a visit.
I am on vacation right down the street from the museum and was there today looking the 17 over.It appears that the inside is/has been blasted at sta6 and corrosion is appearing along the stringers running aft of the station 6 extrusion ring.This is located slightly forward of the ball turret.Overall she looks good as do the wheel wells in the wings.I hope they can address the interior soon as it wont get any better.
HANG THE EXPENSE