Gulfport P G2, just barely

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Chris Brame

Gulfport P G2, just barely

Post by Chris Brame »

I've got four different crew shots taken with this otherwise unidentified B-17G, Witchita (sic) Belle. In one, you can just barely see the code P G2 in the background between two of the crewmen:
witchita belle 2 (Gulfport P G2 in background).jpg
Close-up:
Gulfport P G2 insert .jpg
David, do you have an ID on this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terveurn

Re: Gulfport P G2, just barely

Post by terveurn »

No identification on either aircraft -- both assigned to 2nd flight (the Belle has red cowlings). Someplace I have a color shot of the Belle.

The 2nd Flight was rarely photographed - I only have 3 identified ships from this unit.

Chris - post the other crew shots as well
Chris Brame

Post by Chris Brame »

Righto:
witchita belle 1.jpg
witchita belle 3.jpg
witchita belle 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MyBaby44

Post by MyBaby44 »

Hello,

I´m looking for the S/N of the same Fort - Witchita Belle - and still no result so far. Does anyone at least know the A/B where this training machine was stationed and the uniti it was assigned to?
Btw the last crew on the pics above was shot down on Aug. 29, 1944 aboard of the S/N 42-38096 "Big Time" and crashed 3 miles away from my born town. http://www.leteckabitvakarpaty.cz/sestr ... /letadlo5/
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

Witchita belle was a training ship -- assigned to Gulfport AAF / 3rd AF

Chris and myself have been competing to find these ships, there is no known corresponding code list between assigned squadron / ID letter for the 3rd AF B-17's so the two of us have been posting as many photos and serial numbers when they are found
ZOI Combat Crew Training B-17 Colors and Markings 1944-45.JPG