Research Help needed

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
terveurn

Research Help needed

Post by terveurn »

Working on a 15th AF war diary - think a combination of Freemans 8th diary and Bishops 8 - 9 war loss's with a lot of my narration included.
What I am looking for is an AZON expert or somebody with a body of knowledge that has researched this technology and use.
The problem I have is 3 missions in April 1944 (2 completed, one abort) by the 301st BG that are not officially registered as AZON missions. The first mission has a post debrief where the mission is listed as a special.
According the the study guild (May 1964) "THE ACCURACY OF THE AZON GUIDED BOMB AS AFFECTED BY BATTLE CONDITIONS IN WORLD WAR II" the first bombing missions of the 15th AF was May 13 "ie: During the period 13 May to 11 August, 1944, the B-17 AZON bombers were engaged in operations with the 15th Air Force in Italy" and there is supposed to be a video of this strike.
cvairwerks

Re: Research Help needed

Post by cvairwerks »

I’d start by chasing the photo unit listed in the report and from there, the film number that is referenced. Not sure who would have the film, maybe the Nat. Archives?

I did find a couple of videos of the drops carried out in Burma.