Is this "Feather Merchant" in better days?

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
jmkendall

Is this "Feather Merchant" in better days?

Post by jmkendall »

In New Guinea sits the remains of the most historic B-25 still in existance.

Almost completely ignored by the warbird world. I actually talked to a man in Austrialia who attempted to recover it 2 years ago and was shocked to learn it's history. He thought it was just another B-25.

Surfing the net I found a nice color photo of a fat cat B-25 that I think is this aircraft. Hopefull Steve will chime in here:
[attachment=0]royce b-25 as fat cat.jpg[/attachmen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmkendall

Re: Is this "Feather Merchant" in better days?

Post by jmkendall »

As she is today:
feather merchant via wordpress.jpg
Via Wordpress.com's article on Bataan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terveurn

Re: Is this "Feather Merchant" in better days?

Post by terveurn »

PNG is an interesting country in contrasts.

A lot of historical aircraft in the bush, PNG laws have really clamped down on somebody just waltzing in and claiming a wreck.

The problem is the people recovering the aircraft do not want to pay much for the wrecks and PNG government wants top dollar (almost fully restored price) before an aircraft is recovered and exported.

Can not blame the country for clamping down on the people just taking these aircraft, but the problem is you have the scrappers (and the villagers) who will tear a new find apart for the price of the metal.

There was a report / myth about 25 year ago of a United States Government worker who borrowed a earth mapping resource satellite's data and using color mapping claimed he was able to identify 200 P-38's wrecks in the jungles of PNG (as well as other types of aircraft).

Do not know what ever came of this story, however, there is a lot of known wrecks that could be recovered if there was a meeting of the minds between the recovery people, the villages and the PNG Government (ie how much cash can be thrown towards a project).