Movie P-51As in Luftwaffe markings

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Movie P-51As in Luftwaffe markings

Post by aerovin2 »

Okay...along with the B-17 movie stuff I just added to my Aero Vintage website, that 1952 movie had two quick shots of two Allison-powered Mustangs. A bit of a mystery as I have never seen this out there before. I am 99.9% certain that this was not shot for the Operation Secret movie so it probably came out of a Warner Brothers film vault from some World War II production. I am guessing that one of the smart movie or Mustang people can quickly solve my little mystery...

Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
terveurn

Re: Movie P-51As in Luftwaffe markings

Post by terveurn »

Might be looking for German Aircraft Carriers

Guy named Joe.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Using the footage from A Guy Named Joe makes the most sense but curious how the markings don't match...neither the fuselage badge forward of the cockpit (present in the Operation Secret scene) nor the swastika on the tail match (missing on the Operation Secret scene). Possibly shot during the same filming but not at the same time. Much more exhaust streaking also. Curious.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books

terveurn

Post by terveurn »

not a mustang 1.JPG
not a mustang 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Brame

Post by Chris Brame »

The only other one I can think of is this P-51A or A-36 from the 1943 film Sahara; but again the markings don't match:
sahara mustang 2.jpg
Otherwise, maybe the footage could be from a training film?
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Yes, I had thought possibly Saraha too until it appeared only one aircraft was used in the depicted scene of strafing. Simon Beck's excellent The Aircraft Spotter's Film and Television Companion, the most definitive source I am aware of, only show the two (A Guy Name Joe and Sahara) as utilizing P-51As as Bf-109s in the wartime period. The scenes from A Guy Named Joe don't match the markings at all (fuselage markings are in different location) so I suspect possibly a wartime training film of some sort. Still waiting for that special Mustang or film expert to step up and solve this little, if inconsequential, mystery.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books