B-17 Aluminum Overcast – Credit where credit is due

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
NickV

B-17 Aluminum Overcast – Credit where credit is due

Post by NickV »

A bit of B-17 minutiae, but I thought I’d put this out there so that when credit is given for saving a B-17, that these gentlemen can be recognized.

In Scott Thompson’s book “Final Cut: The Post-War B-17 Flying Fortress and Survivors” (Fifth Edition), on page 227, it mentions that Dr. Bill Harrison bought 44-85740/N5017N in 1978. The following year, Harrison had put together a group of investors who had planned to fly the B-17 to many former wartime bases in tribute to those who crewed and flew the type.

Harrison and his five partners incorporated under the name B-17 Around the World, Inc. Their effort was cut short when they realized they could not self-fund the planned the trip, and a suitable buyer was sought for the bomber. Unable to sell the plane, the group donated it to the Experimental Aircraft Association in 1980.

In a conversation with Tom Camp about the many aircraft he had his hand in over the years, he related that Bill Harrison was the leader of the group and the following names (in alphabetical order) were the additional partners:

William E. “Bill” Harrison (1933-2019)
Thomas “Tom” Camp (alive and well!)
George Enhorning (1927-1990)
Max R. Hoffman (xxxx–1986)
Albert L. “Al” Shirkey (1933-2009)
Scott Smith (deceased)

Having never seen the other partners listed, I thought their generosity and foresight should be remembered.
Nick Veronico
B-17G tail turret project
http://www.wreckchasing.com
www.amazon.com/author/nicholasveronico