Is this a Hawiian depot Camo B-17?

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
jmkendall

Is this a Hawiian depot Camo B-17?

Post by jmkendall »

Found this while surfing here:https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ ... ew_during/

They say it was a training aircraft out of Rapid City c 1943. The color variation makes me think Hawaii depot job.

Any thoughts?

It won't let me download the file. So I guess you have to follow the link.

Sorry about that!
OldBillB17F

Re: Is this a Hawiian17 depot Camo B-?

Post by OldBillB17F »

Paddle props...aka B-17F on up. Probably not a B-17E or younger (if you're a betting man). Hence not a Hawaiian camo B-17.
jmkendall

Re: Is this a Hawiian depot Camo B-17?

Post by jmkendall »

Hey Bill,

That is assuming there has never been an engine/prop change. Or was there a legitimate reason to keep the original props? This pic would have been taken probably in 43 at a stateside training base.

Soooooo....props aside, do you see the difference in color on fuselage?
OldBillB17F

Post by OldBillB17F »

All good points...yes, I see the color variance in the paint scheme on the fuselage.
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

Kingman had a bunch of B-17G's in tri scheme.

do not know who was using these aircraft (no tail markings) but there are a bunch of them
Kingman tri 2.JPG
Kingman tri.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmkendall

Post by jmkendall »

Nice find with the Kingman pics!

I think the pic I found showed an ac with a red border. Early G would still be possible.

I actually think those pics are more interesting than the one I found. I have never in 50 years seen a camo G. I would really love to see the original negative to see if the resulution could be better.

I still think my original pic is a Hawaiian Depot, just because, as varied as those two ac were, the nose was actually fairly simliar, and very different from mine. Mine matches up better with a HD scheme. Now, I'm not married to that hypothosis. I just think that at this time the weight tips more towards that point of view.

Still, great pics! Thanks
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

These tri-colored B-17G photos are clipped down from a TIFF that is 100" x 100" in size (year 9 feet x 9 feet), direct from a negative.

Some University in california holds the negative.

Another find in the backrow - either 43 or 63

100 x 100.JPG
43 small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.