Paul Allen's B-17E 41-9210 for sale

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Chris Brame

Paul Allen's B-17E 41-9210 for sale

Post by Chris Brame »

Well, here we go, folks:

https://www.platinumfighters.com/invent ... -fortress-

Great to see all those photos at last of this once super-secret project, plus the detailed history (Scott, does the history look correct?)

I guess it will change the odds on which E model will fly first - my money was solidly on Desert Rat/Tangerine, but now...?
terveurn

Re: Paul Allen's B-17E 41-9210 for sale

Post by terveurn »

wonder how much to convert her to a B-17G and repaint her as 909
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

It's nice to the detailed history. More than I've seen before and appears to utilize numerous and varied sources to fill in some of the holes. I think it is an 80% done/80% to go...the cockpit and nose have not yet been done and it would appear all the systems need to be installed. Nacelles are off the wings (???). A bit of work to do.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
jmkendall

Post by jmkendall »

It really depends on a lot of things, as far as how much is left to do.

IF the forward fusalauge is structurally sound, and IF all the components are already rebuilt/on hand, then it is one giant jigsaw puzzle and it CAN go together quickly. Depending on how many actual technicians they want to hire full time.

The same thing with the wings. Though they look like there has been less work done on them, they also have less to rebuild, in a relative sense.

Are the engines done? If the answer to these questions is "yes" then it can get together rather quickly.

If all the work will be done with one technician and a bunch of volunteers, it could be decades ala the P-61 ( if not centuries....). I may not know B-17 in particular, but, I did work in Army aviation maintainence for 30 odd years. Including depot level work. Some rebuilds are fairly straightforward and other are a pain.

Has anyone noticed that the Allen aircraft being sold are all projects? I do wonder if Allen did leave a legal proviso for the museum itself. Meaning his heir might be busy trying to find legal loopholes to see off what she can to fund her interest. Perhaps she can't sell the museum itself or the aircraft. I guess time will tell.
Dennis56

Post by Dennis56 »

terveurn wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:38 pm wonder how much to convert her to a B-17G and repaint her as 909
AGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! Sacrilege!!!!! That'd be like cutting the bar out of the back window on a '63 Corvette
I guess to each his own, and the loss of 909 is still painful to many of us, but the chance to have a FLYABLE E - priceless. (well, 9mil plus)
I remember someone suggesting to Kermit Weeks years ago about rebuilding his (Charley damaged) B-17 as a D model. His reply was "no one would know what it was". Dennis
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

[/quote]
AGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! Sacrilege!!!!! That'd be like cutting the bar out of the back window on a '63 Corvette
I guess to each his own, and the loss of 909 is still painful to many of us, but the chance to have a FLYABLE E - priceless. (well, 9mil plus)
I remember someone suggesting to Kermit Weeks years ago about rebuilding his (Charley damaged) B-17 as a D model. His reply was "no one would know what it was". Dennis
[/quote]

My other suggestion is since the nose is not finished, take a RCAF B-24D nose and graft the two together.

The new owners then advertise her as two warbirds for the price of one
terveurn

Post by terveurn »