Movie "Air Force" Identity of "Mary Ann"

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Davelewa

Re: Movie "Air Force" Identity of "Mary Ann"

Post by Davelewa »

that is one ad I've never seen before. I have been fascinated with Air Force ever since I discovered the movie on the late show one night when I was staying with my Grandmother one summer. Several years ago Dad and I went thru the restoration area at The Air Force Museum to stt The Memphis Belle and The Swoose. First think I looked at was the tail of The Swoose to see if John Garfield could have actually fit back there. Not a chance with the rudder and other construction.
Chris Brame

Post by Chris Brame »

Well folks, history just got re-written again. The photo of a burnt B-17 that I had thought to be the Mary Ann has turned out to be a different aircraft; the original just turned up on eBay (yes, I have a bid in; yes, I'll share it if I win):
B-17C trainer 40-2070 #12 3.jpg
The date January 3rd, 1943 pegs it as B-17C 40-2070, at Hendricks per the AAIR accident listings. What happened was that the photo was originally published in a newsletter that was in the Hobbs AAF records, and featured several other photos of accidents taken at Hobbs; added to the record of the Mary Ann having ended her career at Hobbs it was an honest jump to the conclusion. (Although now we know the data plate may have come from Amarillo.)

I did remove the fire reference on the AAM site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chris Brame on Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Brame

Post by Chris Brame »

Didn't win it. As usual, the only high-bid photos were the two I wanted :roll: .