B-17s in Panama Canal Zone

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Bongo252

B-17s in Panama Canal Zone

Post by Bongo252 »

Anyone familiar with the 6th Air Force in Panama, specifically B-17 operations? My understanding is that at the end of the war, aircraft that couldn't be handed over to central or South American countries or were new enough to return to the states were scrapped at Albrook Field. Any photos of this?
terveurn

Re: B-17s in Panama Canal Zone

Post by terveurn »

Get yourself a copy of Alae Supra Canalem by Dan Hagedorm (ISBN 1-56311-153-5) for a excellent book on 6th AF operations
Bongo252

Post by Bongo252 »

I do have a copy of the book and years ago I corresponded with the gent a bit. Still he was in a bit of a haze in regards to that region of Albrook. I actually served over at the PAD (Panama Air Depot) back in 76 and 77 when it was called "Albrook Army Airfield". Canal Zone helicopter operations were based there (210th Aviation Battalion) and we utilized the immense hangers there. I remember a few of us climbing about in the upper steel works of the structure there and finding girders marked Carnegie Steel and remains of dark green paint from when it was camouflaged. HUGE hanger! I've seen photos of WB50s and C-54s inside and huge amounts of room! There was still a small part of what was called the PDO with all kinds of junk including two old AF helicopters. I could see the probable direction that the XB15 must've been moved to dump in the swamp. Still most photos of aircraft are over at the Air Force side, including a couple with a B-17 when Truman visited. Just can find much over at the PAD.
Bongo252

Post by Bongo252 »

Excellent! Looks like I will be busy for the next few ! Thanks!!
Bongo252

Post by Bongo252 »

Now onto that odd camo job seen in a couple of pics...
bf657bfa5ef747032f85082c1bb60cce--b--wwii.jpg
Is that OD over light gray with white splotches? Or OD over a white underside with blotches continuing upward? Is there an accurate depiction or is this much like the Hawaiian camo scheme that seems to differ from one aircraft to another?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

That is a typical ASW paint scheme - you will find B-17's, B-24's, B-25's B-18's in that scheme around the Panama area - most of these ships were also fully equipted with Radar