Kermit Weeks B-17 Suzy Q

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
jmkendall

Kermit Weeks B-17 Suzy Q

Post by jmkendall »

I was watching Kermits latest video on Suzy Q and he clearly says that he has rebuilt Suzy Q to flying status...then a minute later he talks about his second "B-17 built out of pile of parts" that might also be rebuilt, especially as it has good spars. He specifically says "...get it to fly TOO..."

Did Kermits B-17 fly under the wire??? Or is he grossly mispeaking? I had to rewind the video three times to make sure he did not use a qualifier when stating he had Suzy Q rebuilt to flying condition. The last I saw it it was still in pieces. Though he mentioned that all the Hurrican damage had been fixed and the aircraft was basically awaiting reassembly.

Anyone?
aerovin2
Site Admin

Re: Kermit Weeks B-17 Suzy Q

Post by aerovin2 »

No change to the status of 44-83525...photos as of late 2022 showed the airplane remains in storage. My understanding from discussions with Mr. Weeks years ago is that there are some tax/legal/foundation issues with 44-83525 so its status is unlikely to change until something happens to resolve those issues.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
jmkendall

Post by jmkendall »

This video was from six weeks ago. It is a series of video's on Kermit flying it from Paris TX to Florida; and all the "fun" they had on the way.

I get your point. I'm not sure of what to make of it. In another video a few years ago he says that although he would like to get the B-24 and B-17 restored, the money it would take could be spent on many more projects,Which certainly goes along way to agreeing with your assessment.

Oth.....I have a loooooong background in Aviation maintenance. Almost 40 years in the Army. I've also volunteered on the B-29 a Travis. Sure it took a long long time to restore, but the basic erection into a complete airframe was minimal.

IF, and I say if, the airframe was restored and only in pieces, then honestly in the four to six months since the pics you talk about in late 22, is not much time at all to put the jig saw puzzle together. Its just not. Well...with a proper hanger, crew and a bit of money. Just because he says it is flyable does not mean he is planing to fly it. We all know that even if "flyable" the first flight could find all sorts of squaks.

In any event...Scott you are the B-17 guru. You certainally know more about the B-17 world than I ever will. All I can say is that Kermit without any doubt said on part 3 of his video of bringing Suzy q home that he has rebuilt Suzy Q to flyable condition. Maybe...he means flyable....and in pieces...???Though as an A and P as well as an Army Aviation NCO ( retired) that would be a whole NEW classification to me.... (shrugs)

Thanks Scott! Mean it. Oh, and sorry I did not see your message to me. I know it is waaaay too late, but feel free to use that image and when I find it again I will do a beter scan for your files.

Joe
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

From Weeks videos, he often talks about moving from a flying museum into more of a interactive video museum - with all of his projects (some little more then boxes of parts) it will be interesting to see what gets accomplished (and what gets eventually sold)