Update on B-17D 40-3097 "The Swoose"

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Update on B-17D 40-3097 "The Swoose"

Post by aerovin2 »

One more update, this one of the B-17D at the restoration facility at the NMUSAF. I had the chance to take a close look at the airplane and the progress being made on the reassembly and preservation of the sole-remaining intact early shark-fin B-17.

https://www.aerovintage.com/2023/08/07/ ... gust-2023/

Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
varsity07840

Re: Update on B-17D 40-3097 "The Swoose"

Post by varsity07840 »

Before I state my opinion on the status, present and future of 40-3097, I'd like to correct some misstatements in the narrative. First, the Swoose emblem currently on the aircraft is not original. When the Swoose was stripped down to bare metal in 1944, after the fact, someone decided that it would be a good idea to replace it with the one currently in place. So, a circular background of the supposedly original paint finish was applied with a NEW and different Swoose logo. I encourage anyone questioning that to compare a photo of the original with the current one. In 1983, after seeing the Swoose at Silver Hill, I wrote a letter to Walter Boyne pointing that out. The letter to me in response from the Deputy Curator is attached. The black undersides hastily painted before Kurtz took the Swoose to LA was an attempt to recreate the black undersides that were painted sometime during her brief combat career, apparently for night missions that never took place. Lots of photos exist of that paint, flaked off because no primer was used. The upper surfaces were not OD. They were a two tone scheme of some sort of green and brown conjured up at Del Monte. The original undersides were left bare metal as were the other B-17s painted at Del Monte. The Swoose was not rebuilt as a transport in Australia for General Brett. It was repaired after being damaged and was in combat configuration when it was selected as the most airworthy of what was left of the the original 19th BG A/C. There is existing video of
her with Brett and Kurtz at the controls and guns being manned while on a flight to or from Port Moresby. B-17C 40-2072, also shot up, was eventually repaired and used as a troop transport in Australia until it crashed in 1943. The "disembowelment" of the Swoose began in 1943 after being sent to Panama with Brett.

The original intent of the Air and Space Museum was to conduct a full restoration. The historical significance of a castrated vision of the original aircraft is minimal given all the deletions, modifications and publicity markings done to the Swoose . Kurtz must have realized that when he had her painted in that hideous rendition of her early 1942 appearance. The fact that a new bathtub was installed and then removed can only point to one thing. Money.
It seems downright silly that the most expensive exterior item for restoration, the bathtub with gun mounts was fabricated, attached and is now removed. My personal belief is that he Swoose, as the sole surviving B-17D of the 19th BG and the disaster in the Philippines is just as historically significant as the Belle which has long been touted as the first bomber to complete 25 missions in Europe, which is not true. The Swoose deserves the same treatment.
Duane
varsity07840

Post by varsity07840 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duane
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Okay, thanks for the additional information and clarification.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"