Another B-17 Tale of the South Pacific

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Steve Birdsall

Another B-17 Tale of the South Pacific

Post by Steve Birdsall »

In early November 1942 the homeward-bound 19th Bomb Group traded three of their least war-weary B-17Es to the 5th Bomb Group's 394th Bomb Squadron in Hawaii, and those B-17s were soon on the way to SOPAC under the command of Captain Orin H. Rigley.

I believe that those three aircraft were 41-2440, 41-2632 and 41-2658. Fast forward to July 13, 1943 and two of those old B-17s were still around, part of an eight-plane night bombing mission from Guadalcanal led by Lieutenant Colonel Rigley in 41-2632 Crock O'Crap, with Captain William Shotwell in 41-2440 Calamity Jane.

Gene Salecker's book has an interesting tale about how 41-2440 got her nickname. According to a 394th mechanic, Phil Klingensmith, when the three B-17Es reached Fiji they shared the airstrip with Navy planes from the carrier Saratoga. One evening three Navy planes were taking off and dust stirred up by the leading aircraft caused the two following planes to go off the runway and into two parked B-17s. One of them was 41-2440. A repair team from the Hawaiian Air Depot was flown in and 41-2440 was repaired using parts from the other, more seriously damaged, aircraft. That was late November 1942, and the repaired plane was given the name Calamity Jane.

Both 41-2440 and 41-2632 survived the war to return to the United States. There's no record of what happened to 41-2658, but it seems to me that she must have been the aircraft that was damaged on Fiji and then cannibalised to repair 41-2440.
Last edited by Steve Birdsall on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.B17BlackJack.com
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

So when does the book of B17 tales of the South Pacific come out?

This is great stuff you are sharing with us and I want more! :)

Any photos of Captain Roderick M. Stewart Jr, in your files? I have a copy of "Queens Die Proudly" signed by him in 1942 and it has Aircraft Commander, 19th BG 1942 written after his name.
hang the expense

B-17

Post by hang the expense »

Anybody know the whereabouts of the aircraft dump on Fiji?You know its in there with a bunch of other wrecks.
HANG THE EXPENSE
DryMartini

Now there is an idea!

Post by DryMartini »

Who is up for a trip to Fiji?
I'm in!

List of things to bring:
==============
Ground Penetrating Radar
Back Hoe
Heavy Lift Helicopter
Shovels
Plenty of Bribe money
:D
-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
Steve Birdsall

The Last Straw

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Dan, Lieutenant Roderick M. Stewart was on Lieutenant Robert Thacker's crew when they landed 41-2432 at Hickam Field on December 7, 1941. I don't know if that 88th Reconnaissance Squadron crew stayed together, but Thacker flew 41-2432 to Australia where he flew with the 19th Bomb Group. I don't have a crew photo.

At some stage 41-2432 was named The Last Straw and was still flying with the 43rd Bomb Group in September 1943.

Moving on . . . So you two want to head off to Fiji and just leave 41-9234 in New Guinea??? :)

Update: It looks like 2nd Lt Roderick M. Stewart was a passenger with Thacker on the December 7 Hickam flight. Fast forward to June 23, 1942 and 1st Lt Roderick M. Stewart is flying as co-pilot to Captain David G. Rawls in the 435th Bomb Squadron's 41-2430, Naughty But Nice. I don't know if Stewart was on Rawls' crew during the whole period from December 1941 onwards.

This information was drawn from original research provided by Glenn Spieth.
Last edited by Steve Birdsall on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
www.B17BlackJack.com
DryMartini

Fiji? New Guinea? What's the difference?

Post by DryMartini »

So you two want to head off to Fiji and just leave 41-9234 in New Guinea??? Smile

Well, I think someone might notice if 41-9234 suddenly
disappeared during the night. Then, we'd have *2* B-17s
sitting on a dock somewhere in New Guinea, with a thread
on some internet board, where some posters will call us saints
for trying to preserve history, and others calling for our heads
because of our clandestine operations.

At least Fiji has nice weather. :D
-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Yeah, still there, but we'd better be quick now that the word's out! :wink:

www.B17BlackJack.com
hang the expense

Now thats a really cool shot.I noticed the serial on the verticle has been painted out.Wonder why.
HANG THE EXPENSE
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

There's a sad postscript to this story. The 19th Bomb Group pilot who flew 41-2658 from Australia to Hawaii was Captain Kenneth D. Casper.

It looks like his uniform and medals are being sold on eBay.

Search for item #220449077559, "WWII USAAF AAF PILOT OFFICER DRESS CRUSHER HAT UNIFORM".
www.B17BlackJack.com
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

I've just updated an earlier post on this thread to make a correction and add a few bits and pieces. :!:
www.B17BlackJack.com
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

Thanks for the updated info on Roderick Stewart, Steve. He eventually ended up a squadron commander with an 8th AF B17 Group in England so he clearly had an eventful career in the 17
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Here is a photo of Calamity Jane before she was de-fanged and sent home from New Caledonia. The crew is from the 394th Bomb Squadron, 5th Bomb Group and the photo was taken in Fiji. The fellow on the far left, kneeling, is Ray Spaulding. After completing his SOPAC tour he volunteered to go to Europe and died in a B-17 over Germany.

Frank Spaulding, Ray's brother, provided this photograph, and he'd like to contact anyone who knew his brother in those days.

The only other crewman identified at this time is Ralph Mikasen, kneeling third from the right. Frank Spaulding reports that Mikasen painted the beautiful artwork on the nose. (I believe that the same lady appeared on the other side of the nose in a slightly different pose, but I haven't been able to find a photograph.)

Can anyone identify the other members of this crew?

:!: Special thanks go to Jim Augustus, 7th Bombardment Group (H) Historical Foundation for his help in obtaining the photo.

* Cross-Posted at Pacific Wrecks, Army Air Forces, Wings Over Cambridge and Plane Talk.
www.B17BlackJack.com
Steve Birdsall

The Other Side?

Post by Steve Birdsall »

For the record, here's all I have on what I believe is the other side of the nose of Calamity Jane.

It's from a photocopy of a little photo that Fred Johnsen found when he was researching the 5th Bomb Group years ago. It's very faint, but it does reveal the essentials.

Has anybody seen this photo or something similar anywhere?
www.B17BlackJack.com
hang the expense

calamity jane

Hey Steve,I agree she is the same bird.Also notice the guy with the mustasch could be the same one in the first crew pic.Middle.
HANG THE EXPENSE
Charlie

Re: I'm the pilot

Post by Charlie »

Hi, I was the pilot, 1'Lt Charles R. Stewart, back row far left. next was new co-pilot,then Bombardier,then Navigator name Joos, last man was an Observer. Front row next to Ray are two gunners, then crew chief Mike who put the sweater on Jane, then another gunner, & finally the tail gunner. This photo was taken at the base at Nandi, Fiji Islands.
Steve Birdsall wrote:Image

Here is a photo of Calamity Jane before she was de-fanged and sent home from New Caledonia. The crew is from the 394th Bomb Squadron, 5th Bomb Group and the photo was taken in Fiji. The fellow on the far left, kneeling, is Ray Spaulding. After completing his SOPAC tour he volunteered to go to Europe and died in a B-17 over Germany.

Frank Spaulding, Ray's brother, provided this photograph, and he'd like to contact anyone who knew his brother in those days.

The only other crewman identified at this time is Ralph Mikasen, kneeling third from the right. Frank Spaulding reports that Mikasen painted the beautiful artwork on the nose. (I believe that the same lady appeared on the other side of the nose in a slightly different pose, but I haven't been able to find a photograph.)

Can anyone identify the other members of this crew?

:!: Special thanks go to Jim Augustus, 7th Bombardment Group (H) Historical Foundation for his help in obtaining the photo.

* Cross-Posted at Pacific Wrecks, Army Air Forces, Wings Over Cambridge and Plane Talk.