Another B-17 Tale of the South Pacific

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Steve Birdsall

Thanks!

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Charlie, thanks for your comments, they are truly appreciated. I don't have a lot of information on the 394th, but I do have a few mission reports for the first half of July 1943. These show you flying 41-2440 on three missions - July 6, 8 and 11.

From this it seems to me that you were Calamity Jane's last regular pilot. Did you fly her to the Air Depot at Tontouta when the last of the B-17s were retired?

www.B17BlackJack.com
Charlie

Re: Another B-17 Tale of the South Pacific

Post by Charlie »

Steve, I flew Calamity Jane back to Hickam in Hawii. From there in a B-24 in a stack of baggage back to San Francisco. The next time I saw Calamity Jane I was a ferry pilot. When I landed in Idianapolis Indiana I saw her parked. I ran over to have a homesick look. She had been recoditioned and was as a General's private plane. I don't know what happened to her after that. I would be happy to visit with you if I had your phone number.
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

Wow! Thanks Mr. Stewart for stopping in and sharing part of the story!
TAdan

Post by TAdan »

Wow, small world! Thanks for your comments Charlie. It is one thing to see some pictures and dates, but a whole different story to have the pilot chime in. :D
So many warbirds so little time.
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Another piece of the puzzle, thanks to Georgianna Joos Rishel, who wrote that:

"My father is 2nd from the right standing. Lt George J. Joos, navigator. He lived in Minnesota, USA. He died in 1976. My brother gave me a scrapbook with some journal pages or letters from my dad while he was in the Army Air Force. I would like to learn more about what he did. If there are any surviving crew members I would love to talk to them. I have just begun my search. Thank you."
www.B17BlackJack.com
hang the expense

Post by hang the expense »

Fabulous posts you guys.WETSU !Ok, which of us is going to Fiji or should I say who has any money to go to Fiji.I asked for some of the bailout money the gubmint is throwing around but they laughed and said No! Someone has to pay for it and it looks to be you. :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: I'm not done yet :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:
HANG THE EXPENSE
DryMartini

Post by DryMartini »

Seriously, has anything been recovered IN GOOD CONDITION from those islands
to the point where someone who had the $$$ could say, "Hey, let's go see what
we can find". I'd like nothing better than a set of B-17 inboard wing panels, but
how much work would be involved in finding/recovering/shipping them back
from Fiji?

-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
cherylfoster

Post by cherylfoster »

When the three B-17Es to carry out joint naval airstrip, Fiji and the aircraft carrier Saratoga. One evening, three of the fleet of aircraft take-off and caused the dust caused by two planes on the runway that leads into the air, B -17 divided into two parked aircraft. One of which is 1941-2440. Maintenance team to fly to Hawaii Elder Porter 1941-2440, and repair parts from other, more serious damage to the airplane.
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Twelve years ago some of us were wondering what was on the starboard side of the nose of 41-2440, Calamity Jane.

The answer finally arrived in a U.S. Navy image of her at Henderson Field in May 1943 . . .

Just the name, in the same style as the port side.

Better late than never I guess.
www.B17BlackJack.com
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

With all the photos gone from earlier posts, I thought it was worth posting this one again.

www.B17BlackJack.com