lets talk 12 O'clock high (the tv show)

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
jmkendall

lets talk 12 O'clock high (the tv show)

Post by jmkendall »

Recently 12 O'clock high has been on my youtube rotation for some reason.

Scott had wrote out some of the history of one of the B-17s from the show. The well known 'Picidelly lilly".

The thing is, I noticed that while many/most of the TV shots were of this AC, there was another episode in season one where they got in the ac and then panned back and the ac had the framed top turret and no ball turret. Later on the same episode the familiar B-17 with blown top turret dome and ball turret were back.

Secondly some of the interior shots show insulation in the cockpit and others don't.

Third, where in the world did they get all the authentic eqipment for the interior? Malony had a second B-17 but it was an F. The ball turretless ac had a patch where the chin turret was, so it was a G. However; could it have served as a source for the bombadiers compartment/radio compartment, bomb bay with shackles and the waist compartment? At least as a parts source?

Not really a point of contention but i wanted to note that they used a real M2 in some of the scenes. Clearly the rounds moved in the chutes and the arming proceedure was correct down to the first round being ejected.

Is it possible that a second complete ac was used? At least a taxiable one? or did they go to all of the trouble to change turret domes and remove the ball turret...for what reason I know not.

I am very tempted to watch this whole series and take notes.

Oh, and one last question in one of the black and white seasons the ac that the crew is standing in front of has the data block painted over the OD paint. It seems an odd detail to add. it happened so fast i didn't catch the information, and i'm not sure it was not overpainted.

Really lastly, it seems in one episode they panned through a group of wreckage which included what could could be a section of burned B-17.

So, am I reruning something that we have talked about before?

Any comments welcomed

Joe