B-17G "Chuckie" Update

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Crew Dawg

Re: B-17G "Chuckie" Update

Post by Crew Dawg »

Well everyone, we're still working on getting the gear squared away on Chuckie, however we have our 20th Annual Big Band Hangar Dance and Silent Auction coming up on October 2nd which is just 4 working weekends away, so we've put the B-17 work on the back burner for a short time to get the hangar ready for the dance.
One thing that sets the Vintage Flying Museum apart from many other museum's is that we are a working museum. This means that on any given day we have any manner of Warbird Maintenance and/or Operations going on. From a B-17 landing gear replacement, to a C-47 restoration or a B-25 engine getting some attention. This means that the place gets a little....shall we say DIRTY! This is why it takes us 4 weekends to start the prep work. We pull EVERY airplane out of the hangar except for the B-17, clean the floors and set up enough tables and chairs for about 1000 people.
This year we are celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the first flight of the B-17. Everyone is cordially invited to attend the Dance. It's a good old fashioned hangar dance, with BBQ and a live Big Band Orchestra, swing dancers, re-enactors in uniform, and yes, it's BYOB!

What could be better on a nice October evening than listening to some great music, with great people, around great airplanes, with a cold drink in your hand and talking about airplanes!

I'll be the grumpy looking crew chief in the HBT coveralls and hat, chomping on an unlit cigar.

Tickets are available at http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org/danceTickets1.htm

Thanks everyone,
Bill Gorin
Crew Chief B-17G "Chuckie" S/N 44-8543
Vintage Flying Museum
Fort Worth Texas
www.vintageflyingmuseum.org
jon01

Post by jon01 »

75 years after the first flight of the B-17! Wow!

I am a newbie here but I do love the old warbirds. I probably don't have too much to offer in a forum like this but I just wanted to say how beautifully restored that old bird is. I admire people like you keeping these old machines alive. Can she fly, or is she land-bound?
pbr201

Post by pbr201 »

Ohh, it is very nice to look
hang the expense

Post by hang the expense »

Sounds like she was sold to jerry yegan from Virginia.She will start flying again and that is a great thing.
HANG THE EXPENSE
SPANNERmkV

Post by SPANNERmkV »

Dateline Nov. 1, 2010

I finally got to see CHUCKIE this weekend at the B17 Co-op, which was hosted at the Vintage Flying Museum.
And to meet the real Chuckie and the Crew Dawg himself- Bill Gorin.

It was a pleasure in all instances.

I am sorry CHUCKIE is leaving the Vintage Flying Museum because I had always wanted to have that all Texas formation of three B17s fly at some event.
But I understand of it has to be, it has to be.

There are some other magnificent airplanes being restored at the Museum.
The PT-22 and the Gullwing Stinson immediately caught my eye, because I parked Kermit (my very green Aeronca Champ) close by them.

And after I toured CHUCKIE the F-86 immediately won my affections. I even volunteered to fly it for them should they need a pilot. :lol:

All that being said, I wish Jerry Yagen all the best in keeping CHUCKIE flying in her new home.
Rumour as of now is that she is to stay in Fort Worth until after the first of the year.
SPANNER

Mr. President and the U.S. Congress... We are forever in your debt!
Crew Dawg

Post by Crew Dawg »

I just wanted to let everyone know that weather permitting, Chuckie will depart the Vintage Flying Museum headed for her new home at the Military Aviation Museum in Virgina Beach, VA on Saturday January 22nd. Planned engine start time is at 0900. Here is the official press release http://www.prlog.org/11221841-vintage-f ... beach.html. Everyone is invited to come out and see her off as she heads on to the next chapter of her long life.
Bill Gorin
Crew Chief B-17G "Chuckie" S/N 44-8543
Vintage Flying Museum
Fort Worth Texas
www.vintageflyingmuseum.org
WarbirdPinup

Post by WarbirdPinup »

hey very cool,
I actually shot a couple of aircraft for my new bombers calendar at the Vintage Flying Museum last October and Chuckie is also in my calendar as the month for May. I shot Chuckie in Virginia Beach after it move there to the Military Aviation Museum with their PBY and "Wild Cargo" .

Look for May in my calendar :)

Warbird Pinup Girls Calendars