Soviet use of the B-17

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
jmkendall

Soviet use of the B-17

Post by jmkendall »

I just read where the Soviet 890th Air Regiment used the B-17 in Squadron strength during and in the immediate post war period. Apparently they used aircraft found abandoned in Eastern Europe, mostly Poland. Reports show that they found 72 Forts, and managed to return around 30 or so to service. There were a couple of serial numbers given. It also seems the Russians used them till the mid 50s? Anyone interested or know of this already?
hang the expense

Re: Soviet use of the B-17

Post by hang the expense »

I have heard of that and have seen pictures to boot.I dont recall IVAN having that many forts though.I think most were rebuilt from wrecks left in poland like you said.
HANG THE EXPENSE
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

The excellent Red Stars 4 by Geust & Petrov list (by serial) 23 B-17s used by the Red Air Force between 1944 and 1951. All were rebuilds from recovered forced landings and the Poltava airplanes.

Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
jmkendall

Post by jmkendall »

It makes you wonder if the Soviets captured any German B-17s? Can you imagine a Fort that started off life with 8th or 15th AF, then went to KG200; and then finally ended its days as a Soviet VIP transport, or being used as a test bed?

Especially if it ended up in Siberia. It would have almost made the trip around the World from its birth in Seattle ( assuming a Boeing built bird!)

Just rambling here, but...well...we used the Fort for spy missions up till the 60s ( ala CIA). It makes you wonder if any B-17 or B-24 were used to penetrate West Coast American airspace?
hang the expense

That would be the Evergreen bird.
HANG THE EXPENSE
hang the expense

aerovin2 wrote:The excellent Red Stars 4 by Geust & Petrov list (by serial) 23 B-17s used by the Red Air Force between 1944 and 1951. All were rebuilds from recovered forced landings and the Poltava airplanes.

WOW! That many? I'm still learning.
HANG THE EXPENSE
Zemper

Post by Zemper »

I have a series of 10 pictures from Poltava dated June 22, 1944. Doesn't look like the Luftwaffe left much to be salvaged...

Anyone see these images before? If not, I'll post the rest.
TAdan

Post by TAdan »

I'd be very interested in seeing the rest of the pictures. Any more information or background on the pictures?
So many warbirds so little time.
Zemper

Post by Zemper »

TAdan- Here are the other seven pictures I have. I really don't know any more about the history of them other than what is written on the negatives. They are a part of my Grandfather's collection (Duane Zemper) who was a photo intelligence officer attached to the 457th.

Chuck Giese

Post by Chuck Giese »

I was looking at the first picture and had the thought that I've been to that crash site.
TAdan

Post by TAdan »

I agree Chuck it is eerily similar to the LB pictures.

Zemper, thanks for sharing the rest of the pictures. If I had to take a stab at it I'd guess that these forts were involved in one of the shuttle bombing missions between the Med. and Russia. I am sure someone here with a bit more knowledge could provide more (and better) info.
So many warbirds so little time.