B17 Movies page

Comments or questions to the webmaster (me).
TheFasterGun

B17 Movies page

Post by TheFasterGun »

Hello,
I joined the forum today, but have visited these pages of Aero Vintage for a couple of years now. I really like the site!

I was going over your B17 Movie page and noticed that there is a movie missing from your list. Here are the details:

Her's to Hold (with Deanna Durbin) 1943
Plot- Joseph Cotten as AVG Flying Tiger pilot in love with a B-17 assembly worker. Shot at the Burbank Lockheed Vega B-17F line.

Future notorious 381 BG 'jinx' ship, "Tinker Toy", shows up in the background in some shots.

An interesting note about Tinkertoy; (42-5846 381st BG, 535th BS.) It was considered a 'jinx ship', by the men, of the 381st BG. On the October 8, 1943 mission to Bremen, Germany. 20mm cannon shells exploding in the cockpit decapitated the pilot.

(From Group War Diary:) 1st Lt Thomas D. Sellers, of Norfolk, Va., co-pilot of "Tinkertoy" on her bloody mission to Bremen in October, today received his Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism in bringing back the shattered Fortress after her pilot, Lt Minerich, had been decapitated and Lt Sellers wounded by an exploding 20mm shell from attacking Nazi fighters.

Lt Sellers received his award, the second highest U.S. military decoration, at the same ceremony at Wide Wing HQ at which 2nd Lt "Red" Morgan received his Medal of Honor.

Then TinkerToy was lost in head-on collision with enemy fighter during mission to Bremen, Germany Dec 20, 1943, MACR 1723.

I hope I have posted in the right area!

btw, HOWDY- and my friends call me Shayne.
I am a 10 year veteran of the US Army-Desert Storm. I am the owner/Scapegoat of a welding/ fabricating business (CSR WeldFab) here in East Texas.
I offer my services to any of the Restoration Groups.

Goin Back quiet now.
Clifton S. Rogers
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Thanks for joining the forum and I'll add the film at the next website update. I appreciate the input.
hiptunes

tinker toy

Post by hiptunes »

just to let you know my uncle harold w harrington was a gunner on that mission -now deseased and helped bring her in
lee oconnell
tailgunner

Re: B17 Movies page

Post by tailgunner »

Does anyone that served on the Tinker Toy remember my Dad - Clarence Ralph CR Greene? He was from Bristol, Tennessee and flew 25 missions before being injured and shipped home. He was a tail gunner. ThankYou. David Greene - david@plateaugroup.com