Planning Production of Bulkhead 3 Gussets

A marketplace of B-17 parts...where to find them, where to sell them, where to trade them, where to build them.
FoCoB17G

Planning Production of Bulkhead 3 Gussets

Post by FoCoB17G »

I'm planning to produce some of the simple gussets of bulkhead 3.

Namely, I will be producing sets of 13 (quantity of 13 per set) type 21-5583 "Gusset Channel Tie" gussets. These are the standard rectangular gussets which are used to connect structural segments in bulkhead 3, which are made of BAC1494-63 extrusions. The gussets will be made from type 2024 T3 0.040" aluminum sheet. They will either be produced using CNC water jet or a CNC metal router.

They will have the rivet holes machined into the part, however the extra 5/8" hole used on 21-5583-1 will not be machined. The extra hole is used primarily for mounting the armor plates on bulkhead 3, and aren't needed on every gusset. These holes should be easy to add by hand if needed.

I am able to get other gussets made as well, just say what you need and I can tell you if I have a CAD of it.

If anyone wants a set (or partial set) send me an email or give me a call. The only cost will be for the small amount aluminum used for your set only, and a proportional price for the machining. This way you don't need to pay the full price of an aluminum sheet, which brings the total expenditure down for me (and you). As for machining price, it will be proportional to what you need. If you want one set, plus my set, means we each pay half of machining price. If I get two people interested, we each pay a third, and so on... Much cheaper than a single set, because we distribute the costs.

Final cost to you depends on if anyone is interested, and what the cheapest machining will be. I want to get an idea of who is interested before I get a quote from any machine shops. The cost of aluminum for a single set will be around $10, maybe less maybe more depending on how it is machined out of the sheet.

I will purchase the aluminum some time in October 2017, so call or email any time before then. 970-658-6719 FortCollinsB17@gmail.com
-Eli Josephs
Fort Collins B-17
http://www.FortCollinsB17.org