Armament

A marketplace of B-17 parts...where to find them, where to sell them, where to trade them, where to build them.
DryMartini

Armament

Post by DryMartini »

Anyone out there have or know where to get:

- .30 cal Ball and Socket mount
- Bell E-11 Gun Mount/recoil adapter
- Bell E-8 Gun Mount/recoil adapter
- How about *ANY* recoil adapter????

Plans or drawings will work for me.
The Smithsonian did not come up with
anything for me.

-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
randall dunkley

Re: Armament

Post by randall dunkley »

Bill : "BMGparts.com" just listed an E-11 Bell adapter for sale.I suspect they only have one. Jay Wisler's "warbirdparts.com" list an E-11 adapter and repro C-19 adapters for sale. "warbirdrelics.com" also list an E-11 but all this stuff is very scarce and very expensive. I did the plans and made my own E-12 Edgewater adapter as used on B-24's as standard. It cannot be used with a socket mount. A socket mount can be made from turned aluminum as original without too much trouble. The mounting rings can also be made using the R&D method. The E-12 must be used with an original E-10 Edgewater recoil adapter still available many places as it was used on the B-52 until after the Viet Nam War. With the right information it is possible to make all this stuff except Hughes Flex Chutes. These are available from Carl Scholl. The .30 cal. aircraft guns were quickly dropped from the B-17's defensive equipment as being ineffective in combat. Most were dumped and those in the States used for training. For info on the .30 mounts and equipment see "Taigh@twinbeech.com" hope this helps with the restoration. Randy
AIR DEPOT

Post by AIR DEPOT »

Did you ever see the .30 cal. ball sockets that Ben and I have listed?
ballturret

Post by ballturret »

Hi ,just spotted your request for .30 cal parts , i have some where a 30 cal ball socket but with out the two outer flanges , any use?
I have also a full length of very early fully enclosed .50cal ammo trunking which i think is correct for B17E`s? , not really sure but i can send you some pictures of it if you want me to?......colin :wink:
ballturret

Post by ballturret »

Hi bill
just seeing if you got my pm`s and the photos of the two turrets that i am restoring?.....colin
DryMartini

Post by DryMartini »

Got the picts just fine.
Been too busy to reply (Sorry!) Watch your email.

-Bill
-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
turretmuseum

Post by turretmuseum »

Looking for Sperry top turret parts. Have some parts to trade.
Fred