Berlin Sleeper II B-17- Need help

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
stevetorres

Berlin Sleeper II B-17- Need help

Post by stevetorres »

My wife's grandfather was an aviator on the B-17 Berlin Sleeper II in the war. He passed away in the late 80's but the entire family was over the house this weekend and everyone was sharing what they new about the plane from the stories that they were told.

One story that was shared was how her grandfather, Scott Bascom, received the distinguished flying award (I think that is what its called) for leading a squadron of planes back to a hard to find airfield for emergency landings.

Where would be the best place to get more information about this plane and the missions it flew?

I think the Berlin Sleeper II was an important plane because the scrapbook had a small clipping saying it was the first plane in the war to complete 100 missions. We have a picture of the crew next to the plane and the number of markings on the nose are impressive.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks,
Steve in Sacramento
OldBillB17F

Berlin Sleeper

Post by OldBillB17F »

Steve,

You're correct. Records indicate that Berlin Sleeper, serial #41-24370, was the first 8th AF plane to reach 100 missions. This aircraft was part of the 97th BG based out of England and N. Africa.

via ArmyAirForces.com

via ArmyAirForces.com

Posting info here is a good start. I would say http://www.armyairforces.com is a great place to find info on a person, a plane, or a bomb group of WWII. A bunch of very knowledgable people over there. Secondly, I would contact Maxwell Air Force Base to see if they have any existing records of his service or his decoration orders.

Hope that helps!
OldBillB17F

Post by OldBillB17F »

UPDATE

I found some info on the plane itself over at http://home.att.net/~jbaugher.

According to Baugher, Berlin Sleeper was first B-17 to complete 100 missions. Participated in first night bombing mission on Rouen, France. Plane was due to be returned to Boeing but was shot down as a drone
before paperwork could be finished.
stevetorres

Thanks Old Bill

Post by stevetorres »

Old Bill,

Thanks for the info and the pictures. The group picture is the same one we have in our scrape book. Scott Bascom is in the back row, second from the right.

Could you or any one else tell me exactly what the symbols mean on the side. I think the swastikas mean German planes shot down. Why are some bombs painted in and others not? What does the big bomb mean?

Would the nose art on this plane be on the other side?

Thanks again.
Steve in Sacramento
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Steve Birdsall wrote an interesting book entitled Pride of Seattle: The Story of the First 300 B-17Fs that contains the following account of 41-24370:

"Paleface was delivered on 17 June 1942 and flown to England by Lt. William Anderson, 325th BS, 92nd BG. The bomber was then transferred to the 342nd BS, 97th BG and was assigned to Lt. George D. Burgess who had piloted The Berlin Sleeper (41-9042) on the 17 August 1942 mission to Rouen, France. Burgess renamed the aircraft The Berlin Sleeper II. The B-17 flew its first mission with the 97th BG on 28 August 1942 to Meaulte and its 100th mission on 13 September 1943 piloted by Major Carl D. Hoffman. She was the first B-17 to reach the century mission mark and her crew chief, M/Sgt. Ray Lambert, had gone along on the historic flight. The aircraft flew its final mission to Ciampino, Italy, on 17 September 1943 for a grand total of 103. In the afternoon of 26 September, she took off for home with Major Hoffman and a specially selected vew of veterans aboard. The old B-17 was apparently written off after being involved in a series of accidents at Eglin Field, Florida in January of 1945."

The photo of the aircraft in the book is the same as the one above (airborne). There is also a color plate profile view of the airplane that shows the first bomb markings in yellow, the rest in white. The big bomb is probably the marker for the 100th mission, and this photo was probably taken in recoginition of the achievement. The swastikas under the bomb markings are, indeed, enemy aircraft attirbuted to have been shot down by this B-17F.

Many of the bomb groups have memorial associations with dedicated websites that offer a wealth of information. Unfortunately it does not appear to be the case with the 97th BG.

I'll email Steve Birdsall and ask him to review this thread. He may have additional information to add from his files.
PaulThomas

Berlin Sleeper crew and history

Post by PaulThomas »

Dear Steve,

My wife’s father was the pilot of the Berlin Sleeper II (Frank Cranz, 3rd from right, back row, next to Scott). I can’t add much to what has already been said. However, the photo was taken in Depienne, Tunisia; and, the rest of the crew are:

Back row, left to right: Henthorn, tail gunner ; Ed Hart, co-pilot; William D. Biner, bombardier/nose gunner; Frank William Cranz, pilot; Scott Bascom, navigator; George Wright, radio/ball turret gunner.
Front row, left to right: Gonsior, radio/waist gunner, Rogers, waist gunner, Hardy, 2nd engineer, Fred Neufeld, 1st engineer/top gunner.

Frank was awarded the DFC (Distinguished Flying Cross); perhaps, Scott received the same award for the same mission? You can obtain a copy of Scott’s service record from the National Archives, here:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/milita ... cords.html

You can view a partial record by searching for “Scott Bascom” here:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/

The Berlin Sleeper was in the 97th Bombardment Group (heavy) that moved to England May-Jul 1942 as part of the 8th Air Force, and flew its first mission 17 Aug 1942 (marshalling yards, Rouen). The 97th moved to the Mediterranean theater in Nov 1942 as part of the 12th Air Force, but was eventually assigned to the 15th Air Force (Nov 1943). From Frank’s service record I know that he arrived in North Africa in Jun 1943 and he returned to the States Feb-Mar 1944 after flying 50 missions (Air Medal with 8 oakleaf clusters – medal awarded after 10 missions and oakleaves on every further 5 missions). He flew in several planes, not just the Berlin Sleeper II. During this time the 97th was stationed at several bases throughout North Africa and Italy: Feb–Aug 1943, Chateaudun-du-Rhumel, Algeria; 1–15 Aug 1943, Pont-du-Fahs, Tunisia;15 Aug–20 Dec 1943, Depienne, Tunisia; 20 Dec–16 Jan 1943, Cerignola, Italy; Jan 1944–Oct 1945, Amendola, Italy. During Frank’s service in the Med he was involved in three campaigns: Sicily, Naples-Foggia, and Rome-Arno.

As far as the bombs are concerned, I think they represent missions, the large bomb is just the “hundredth”. There are three rows of 33 small bombs, then the big one. I suspect the early yellow bombs refer to missions in the European Theater and the rest to missions in the Med.

Hope this is of some help,
Paul.
Last edited by PaulThomas on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boomerang

342nd Bomb Group List of B-17's

Post by Boomerang »

My dad, Jim Kreidler was the navigator on the B-17E, "Boomerang I" and he flew the North Atlantic Ferry Route for a month on weather missions before the rest of the planes came through. I am looking for the names of all the planes in his 342nd Bomb Squadron, 97th Bomb Group. I am pretty sure that the "Berlin Sleeper" was one of them. Three planes went down on the way to BW-8 in the Ferry Route in July 1942, "Alabama Exterminator", "My Gal Sal" and "Sooner", I think they were all in the 342nd. I am writing my dads military history and already have over 250 pages. Can anyone help me?
Sherrie Butler~Daughter of a B-17 navigator
Steve Birdsall

97th Bomb Group B-17Fs

Post by Steve Birdsall »

The 97th Bomb Group was unique in having three very early B-17Fs that completed more than 100 combat missions: 41-24370 Berlin Sleeper II on September 13, 1943 was the first, followed by 41-24378 War Eagle. Their third B-17 to beat the odds was this one, Hell's Kitchen, 41-24392 of the the 414th Bomb Squadron.

This B-17 was delivered on June 27, 1942 and flown overseas by a 92nd Bomb Group crew. She was transfered to the 97th Bomb Group in England in August and flown to North Africa by Captain Richard J. Murfit and his crew in November.

The records show that she was transfered to the 2nd Bomb Group on November 14, 1943 but there is no evidence that she ever flew with them, and Hell's Kitchen was salvaged overseas in May 1944.

Just to further muddy the waters there's a fascinating little item in the Los Angeles Examiner on September 28, 1943. Titled "Veteran Flyers Homeward Bound" it reports: En route to the United States are more than 50 officers and enlisted men who have flown at least 50 combat missions over Europe, North Africa or Italy. With them go some of the most famous American flighter planes in the Mediterranean war, including two Flying Fortresses, the "Berlin Sleeper" and "Hell's Kitchen". The "Berlin Sleeper" has been on 106 combat missions, believed to be a record for Fortresses in any war theater.

Unfortunately this official Air Force photo is undated and none of the people are identified. The official caption? 'The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress "HELL'S KITCHEN" and officer personnel. South Pacific Area.'

I have to admit that I totally missed this one when I was writing Pride of Seattle.

:oops: Well that was a pretty good story, pity it’s not true. The similarity in the presentation – particularly the large bomb indicating the 100th mission – led me to assume that this was a 97th Bomb Group airplane. Not so.

The aircraft in the photo is 41-24360 from the 419th Bomb Squadron of the 301st Bomb Group. The B-17 was delivered by Boeing on June 13, 1942 and was flown to England by Lt Benjamin B. Edmands and his crew. She flew the 301st’s first mission against Rouen on September 5, 1942 completed her 102nd and final mission on September 16, 1943.

Standing in front of the B-17 at Oudna, Tunisia are the officers of the 301st Bomb Group. Left to right, standing, are Captain Robert G. Swift, Group Bombardier, 1/Lt George D. Wood, Communications, Capt Thomas R Reber, Adjutant, Capt Steve Henry, CO, 353rd Bomb Squadron, Lt Col John K. Brown, Group CO, Major Walter A. Williams, CO, 352nd Bomb Squadron, Capt Charles J. Lingelbach, S-4, Capt Ralph E. Jordan, Surgeon, 1/Lt Alvin F. Clapp, Group Navigator, Lt Col Edward C. Stephenson, Executive Officer and Capt William J. Emerson, CO, 32nd Bomb Squadron.

Kneeling: Capt Arthur L. Nelson, Weather Officer , Maj Peter J. O’Carroll, CO 419th Bomb Squadron, Lt Col Edward F. Stoddard, S-3, Capt John J. Mulvehill, Group Armorer and Maj Edmund T. Brigham, S-2.

Hell’s Kitchen was flown home by Lt Col “Skip” Stoddard not long after the photo was taken. The aircraft was salvaged at Altus in August 1945.
Last edited by Steve Birdsall on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.B17BlackJack.com
Steve Birdsall

More on 41-24370

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Here’s the veteran crew that flew The Berlin Sleeper II home at the end of September 1943. . .

Standing left to right, looking at the photo: 2/Lt David Q. Bowen, 1/Lt John H. Stinchfield, Capt Raymond J. Lasker, Major Carl D. Hoffmann, T/Sgt Carl C. Nelson.

Kneeling: Sgt William Ewing, S/Sgt George A. Fulcher, S/Sgt Paul R. Thomas, S/Sgt Raul V. Moreno, T/Sgt Richard L. Paxton, T/Sgt James B. Gahley.
www.B17BlackJack.com
hstinchfield

Re: Berlin Sleeper II B-17- Need help

Post by hstinchfield »

John H. Stinchfield was my father- and he may have been on the Berlin Sleeper II, however, he was not in the photo that was posted. I know he flew over 50 bombing missions and we can research whether or not we have a record of his being on the Berlin Sleeper II.
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

The crew in the photo in the earlier post at the beginning of the thread is not the crew that flew 41-24370 home. I'd removed the crew photo from my old post, but I'll replace it for you to have a look at. This is not one of The Berlin Sleeper II's "regular" crews.
www.B17BlackJack.com
hang the expense

Post by hang the expense »

Thanks for posting this you guys.Great history
HANG THE EXPENSE
JoeFulton

Post by JoeFulton »

I just published a book based on the WW II letters of my uncle, Lt. Bill Biner. He was the bombardier on the Berlin Sleeper's 100th mission. He mentions many soldiers in his letters. Scotty Bascom is mentioned in eight different letters. The book is 475 pages with an index. It is called Brewmaster's Bombardier & Belly Gunner, The World War II Letters of Bill & Bob Biner. It is available from Powell's Bookstore in Portland, Oregon. powells@ondemandbooks.com
Barrie100

Post by Barrie100 »

Thank you to whoever posted the picture above. David Bowen was my grandfather and I had never seen this picture before! Thank you!
CGGahley

Post by CGGahley »

Hello All,
I am new to this forum. My brother directed me to it earlier this week as he was asking for some information regarding our Grandfather, James "Benji" Gahley.
He passed in 2003 but he loved to sit and just talk about his military service. Never any of the ugly details, just the "Fun" ones. And, being a veteran myself, I knew better than to ask about them.
After his passing, I was still in touch with a number of his 97th BG brothers and crew mates until, sadly, they too, hopped the same flight as my grandfather. I think the only one left, that I know of, is Henry Old Coyote. He is a Sioux Elder and politician if I recall correctly. Harry Alsacker was another that I spent allot of time visiting with over the phone, never got to meet up with him or his wife though.
My grandfather enlisted on Dec 8, 1941. He went over to Europe with the first flight of Fortresses and was a Tail Gunner for the Mighty Midgets Crew, (41-24382) out of Dow Field until he shipped out to Africa. He flew 57 missions, if I recall correctly. I can not view the above photo of the Berlin Sleeper and her crew upon their return. Pretty sure it is one that i have if it is the War Bond Drive Photo. It was my understanding that the crew was made up of Men that had flown over and above, (forgive the pun) the required 50 missions. I am afraid that the only Berlin Sleeper Crew Member I was able to find in time, was T/Sgt Carl "Con" Nelson. Sadly, I was unable to find the others.
Joe Fulton, I am interested in your book and will have to go take a look at it. I am going to have to look into yours as well Steve Birdsall.
So, I have not been on this kick for a few years now and just a brief run down the Google pages shows me that there are indeed a number of new forums out there. Guess I will have to dust off the tomes and start updating again.
Thank you for bringing some of the memories back to the fore... It is good to see that the interest is still out there.
"Vinit Hora!"
Cory